19 Şubat 2012 Pazar

TOK

''Since extraction of cells from an unborn baby is an invasive procedure, there is a risk that it may harm the child or even cause a miscarriage. Doctors and parents-to-be must consider which is more important, finding out if the baby has a chromosomal anomaly or providing safe conditions for its development without any extraction of cells.''

   When we think about it; of course parents wouldn't want anything that can harm their baby but when it comes to chromosomal diseases it is necessary to take some precautionary steps. The doctor decides whether there's a ''need'' to do a karyotype but she/he cannot decide whether to do it or not because it is a huge responsibility. Parents need to decide if they should risk the baby's safeness in order to know if the baby's healthy or not. This is completely the parents' decision. The only thing a doctor can do is to say if it is necessary or not. Also it is completely parents' decision to keep the babies or abort the babies which present chromosomal anomalies.The doctor should only tell the chances and the situation. The decisions about the baby belongs to the parents.
     If I find out that my baby has some chromosomal anomalies, I wouldn't put her/him in a very different position than other healthy babies but I would know that if I give birth to that baby, it will be a hard life for him/her and for me because it is not easy to know that your child has chromosomal anomalies before she/he was born. I don't know what that feeling is like now but I think that I would give birth to him/her anyway because still she/he's my baby.


Works Cited

Damon, Alan, Randy McGonegal et al. Standard Level Biology. Pearson Baccalaureate:2007.Text.

3 yorum:

  1. Good luck with that Naz! I just hope you will have a healty baby so that you do not have to worry about it. There are many pregnant women out there who have to make such decisions and either way it must be very stressful. I like how you explained your ideas and I agree that it should depend on the parent's choice rather than doctors.

    YanıtlaSil
  2. Naaz, I liked how you explained the different responsibilities of parents and doctors. Such as, the doctors should decide wheter doing a karyotype is necessary and that they should inform the parents about the chances/risks their baby have towards chromosomal abnormality. By the way the three of us feel the same way about the fact that abortion is parents choices not anyone elses.
    Just like Ayşegül thought my last paragprah was emotional, I also thought your last paragraph was really sentimental, because you told that you'd keep the baby anyway since it is yours.

    YanıtlaSil
  3. Heeeeelllooo darling, the picture that you uploaded is so cuteee i love it. However, i like how you summarize the issue and explain your ideas properly. Also being a sensitive on aborting is so natural but i dont think giving a birth to baby in that situation is not a right decision when we think about the challenges that he/she is going to face with.

    YanıtlaSil